Dr. Joshua Van Gompel
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery
Joshua Van Gompel, DPM
Dr. Van Gompel specializes in the treatment of a variety of foot and ankle procedures including:
- Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Chronic Ankle Sprains and Instability
- Bunions and Heel Pain Treatment
- Ankle and Foot Fractures
- Tendon Injuries
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Arthritic Conditions
- Ankle and Foot Fusions
- Congenital Foot Deformities
- Charcot Reconstruction
- Orthotic Therapy
- Customized Functional Bracing for Both Athletes and the Non-Athletic Population
About Dr. Gompel
Dr. Van Gompel is a specialist in foot and ankle surgery. He has been with Mission Peak Orthopaedic Medical Group since finishing his surgical residency in 2007. While most patients do not need surgery, he has performed over 5,000 foot and ankle surgical procedures. Dr. Van Gompel has performed countless arthroscopic surgeryies of the foot, ankle, and leg as well as advanced treatment for plantar fasciitis including minimally invasive Topaz radiofrequency ablation. He tries to incorporate minimally invasive surgical techniques whenever possible which generally have fewer complications and faster rehabilitation. Dr. Van Gompel treats many high school and college athletes, and returning to optimal activity level is very important to his treatment philosopy. Dr. Van Gompel also commonly treats bunions and heel pain/plantar fasciitis, ankle and foot fractures, and Achilles tendon injuries. He has extensive experience treating traumatic injuries, arthritis, major deformity reconstruction, neuromuscular disorders, rheumatoid reconstruction.
Dr. Van Gompel is Board Certified by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery. He holds certifications in Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery as well as Forefoot Surgery. Dr. Van Gompel is also an attending surgeon for the UCSF/VA-SF Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency program. Through this, he keeps up to date with all of the latest techniques and products related to foot and ankle treatment.
- Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin—Stevens Point, Bachelor of Science, Stevens Point, WI. 1996-2000
- Medical: California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco, CA. 2000-2004
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Residency: St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI. Performed over 2,800 surgical procedures. 2004-2007
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Abstracts and Presentations
- Deep Vein Thrombosis in Foot and Ankle Surgery.
Presented at the "Wisconsin Society of Podiatric Medicine Foot and Ankle Conference", Waukesha, WI, June 2007.
- Modified Lapidus Arthrodesis with External Fixation.
Presented at the "Wisconsin Society of Podiatric Medicine Foot and Ankle Conference", Wisconsin Dells, WI, July 2006.
- Conservative Treatments for Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction.
Presented at the "St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center Foot and Ankle Conference", Milwaukee, WI, June 2005.
- Rail External Fixation for Stabilization of Closing Base Wedge Osteotomies and Lapidus Procedures.
"The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery", May / June Edition, 2006, Letter to the Editor.
- Modified Lapidus Arthrodesis with External Fixation: Technique and Results.
Poster exhibit at the "ACFAS Scientific Conference" March 20th 2006. Also submitted to "The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery", 2007.
- A Cadaveric Comparison of Internal vs External Fixation for the Lapidus Procedure.
Submitted to "The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery", 2007.
"I enjoy spending time with my wife and two children as well as snowboarding, hiking, traveling and watching football. I am a huge Green Bay Packers fan."