Dr. Gabriel Van Gompel
Board Qualified in Foot and Ankle Surgery
Gabriel Van Gompel, DPM
Dr. Van Gompel specializes in the treatment of a variety of foot and ankle procedures including:
- Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Arthroscopic Surgery
About Dr. Gompel
Dr. Van Gompel is a specialist in foot and ankle surgery. He has extensive experience in all areas of foot and ankle medicine with an emphasis in reconstructive and arthroscopic surgery. He received his surgical training at Kaiser Permanente South Bay Consortium Foot and Ankle Surgery residency program. Here he performed numerous procedures involving musculoskeletal reconstruction, diabetic limb salvage, Charcot reconstruction, trauma, neuromuscular disorders and rheumatoid arthritis. He has received specific training in arthroscopic and endoscopic procedures involving the foot and ankle with an emphasis on sports medicine.
He also is trained in treating biomechanics disorders involving the lower extremity. He offers treatments using custom foot orthotics and bracing when necessary. This method of treatment can be effective at returning patients back to their sport or normal every day activity and avoiding a surgical procedure.
Having trained in the San Francisco Bay Area, he is well accustomed to the diverse pathology and patient population. His goal in treatment is to return patients back to their normal activities as quickly and safely as possible. He involves the patient in their treatment process so as to create the optimal situation for healing.
In addition, Dr. Van Gompel has a passion for volunteering surgical services. He participated in a surgical mission to Da Nang, Vietnam where he performed reconstructed surgery on patients with extensive foot and ankle deformity and disability. He plans to continue offering his services in the future.
In his free time he enjoys spending time with family, sailing, hiking, snowboarding and attending the San Jose Sharks hockey games and is a lifelong Green Bay Packer Fan.
- Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin—Stevens Point, Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences, Stevens Point, WI
- Medical: California School of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco/Oakland, CA
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Residency Program: Kaiser Permanente South Bay Consortium, Vallejo, CA
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- California Podiatric Medical Association
Publications and Abstracts
2012 – 2013
Kaiser Foundation Hospitals
- Benjamin D. Cullen, DPM, Glenn M. Weinraub, DPM, FACFAS, Gabriel M. Van Gompel, DPM. Early Results with Use of the Midfoot Fusion Bolt in Charcot Arthropathy. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery 52 (2013) 235-238
- Gabriel M. Van Gompel, DPM, Glenn M. Weinraub. Arthroscopically Assisted Repair of Delayed Syndesmotic Injuries. American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference Poster Presentation. Orlando, Florida
- Gabriel M. Van Gompel, DPM, Glenn M. Weinraub. Medial Malleolar Fractures: ORIF vs. Percutaneous Fixations. A Retrospective Comparative Study. American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference Poster Presentation. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Publication of a Scientific Literature Review Article in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery in October, 2012 on the Comparison of Early Versus Delayed Weight bearing Outcomes After Micro Fracture for Small to Midsized Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus by Lee DH, Lee KB, Jung ST, Seon JK, Kim MS, Sung IH. Am J Sports Med. Aug 9, 2012. 40(10):NP28 2010-2012
- Medial Malleolar Ankle Fractures and the Rates of Healing with ORIF and Percutaneous Fixation a Retrospective Comparative Study – Gabriel Van Gompel, DPM, Glenn M. Weinraub, DPM, FACFAS