Dr. Ricardo A. Molina
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Joint Replacement Specialist
Ricardo A. Molina, MD
Dr. Molina specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopaedic conditions and performs several orthopaedic procedures including:
- Joint Replacement surgery of the knee, hip and shoulder
- Unicompartmental (partial knee) replacement
- Orthopaedic Fracture
- Sports Medicine
About Dr. Molina
Mission Peak Orthopaedic Medical Group is proud to welcome Dr. Ricardo Molina as the newest member of our practice. Dr. Molina completed his orthopaedic residency in Northern California at the San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency Program (SFORP). Part of his residency involved training at St Mary’s Medical Center in San Francisco, one of the foremost early total joint reconstruction centers in the United States. Here he developed state of the art techniques in total joint arthroplasty.
Dr. Molina’s clinical expertise is in joint replacement surgery of the knee, hip and shoulder including minimally invasive and unicompartmental (partial knee) replacements, as well as orthopaedic fracture care and sports medicine. Additionally, he speaks fluent Spanish and has traveled to Central America to provide orthopaedic care for children in the developing world.
In Dr. Molina's Own Words:
"I grew up in the San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles. I attended the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) for my undergraduate studies and graduated with a double major in physiology and biochemistry. I also obtained my medical degree from UCLA where I discovered my passion for orthopaedics. While at UCLA I met my wife Dayana."
"My mission is to get patients back to their activities as quickly and safely as possible. I also like to work together with my patients to discuss all surgical and non-surgical options and devise the best individualized treatment plan. I enjoy many aspects of orthopaedics including total joint reconstruction, trauma, hand, and sports medicine surgery. One of my favorite aspects of orthopaedics is the amazing variety of injuries and treatments available to help our patients."
- Undergraduate: University of California—Los Angeles, Bachelor Of Science, Physiology and Biochemistry, Los Angeles, CA
- Graduate Degree: University of California—Los Angeles, Master of Science, Physiology, Los Angeles, CA
- Medical: David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency Program, San Francisco, CA
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Western Orthopaedic Association
Abstracts and Presentations
- Arthroscopic proximal rowcarpectomy (APRC).
Clinical cohort study of 17 patients with 12-month follow up after APRC. Outcome measures ROM, grip strength, DASH, pain questionnaire and patient satisfaction.
Poster presentation: July 27-30th 2011 Annual Meeting Western Orthopaedic Association. Honolulu,HI
- Lateral ulnar collateral ligment reconstruction:
Cadaveric Study. Cadaveric study comparing two different reconstruction techniques; interference screw vs traditional docking technique.
Podium presentation: February 10th 2012 AAOS Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA
Poster presentation: July 27 - 30th 2011 Annual Meeting Western Orthopaedic Association. Honolulu, HI
- Molina RA, Kwiat D, Leisure J,Buckley J and Lattanza L. Lateral Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction techniques: Biomechanical comparison of two techniques. Submitted for publication Oct 2011.
- Weiss N, Molina RA, Gwinn S. Arthroscopic Proximal Row Carpectomy. J Hand Surg Am.2011 Apr;36 (4):577-82.
- Quirós-Tejeira RE, Molina RA, Katzir L, Lie A, Vargas JH, Ament ME, McDiarmid SV, Martín MG. Resolution of hypophosphatemia is Associated with Recovery of Hepatic Function in Children with Fulminant Hepatic Failure. Transpl Int. 2005 Sep;18 (9):1061-6.
- Molina RA, Katzir L, Rhee C, Ingram-Drake L, Moore T, Krogstad P, Martín MG. Early Evidence of Bone Marrow Dysfunction in Children with Indeterminate Fulminant Hepatic Failure who Ultimately Develop Aplastic Anemia. Am J Transplant. 2004 Oct;4 (10):1656-61.
"Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my wife Dayana and my three-year-old son Pablo. Together we like to travel and explore Northern California. We enjoy outdoor activities such as cycling and hiking. I also remain an avid sports fan, with strong connections to Los Angeles and Bay Area Sports."
"I greatly value the opportunity to provide state of the art orthopaedic care to all my patients and their families. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about my orthopaedic interest and my life outside of the hospital."